16 Feb 2022: Add resources to Playbooks and export Contacts
26 Jan 2022: Try out emojis in buttons, but no more 'templates' in sandboxes
5 Jan 2022: Use buttons in threads
23 Nov 2021: Button messages
2 Nov 2021: Playbooks Launch (Beta)
20 Sept 2021: The end of Chatbase
9 Sept 2021: Data Export API
9 August 2021: Thread data export
22 June 2021: You know best!
21 June 2021: Sample content for templates
17 June 2021: Important security improvements
8 June 2021: Community Playbooks (Alpha)
18 March 2021: Improved billing transparency
17 March 2021: Share the amazing work you do
8 March 2021: Contextual replies and profile settings that suit you
22 Feb 2021: Button automation
18 Feb 2021: Updates to the fallback channel
17 Feb 2021: Contacts and labels data added to BQ
10 Feb 2021: Temporary limitations while we do a Search infrastructure upgrade
5 Feb 2021: Snappier and easier-to-use modals
3 Feb 2021: Add media to templates
27 Jan 2021: Add media or stickers to custom replies
21 Dec 2020: A last big release to celebrate the year
2 Dec 2020: Delete a template, get more insights and send stickers via the API
17 Nov 2020: Delete a user message
23 October 2020: Insights
19 October 2020: Hidden numbers by default
8 September 2020: Contact Profile
11 August 2020: Learn in Turn
3 August 2020: Add a list to your Exact match automations
30 July 2020: Manage your message template spend
15 July 2020: Data storage and rejection reasons
10 July 2020: WhatsApp profile and Login
What is chat for impact?
Get a WhatsApp line: Step-by-step instructions, with a video
Your WABA application checklist
Display name guidelines
What is Business Verification?
Your Business Verification checklist
Help! I got an error whilst doing embedded sign-up?
Help! I'm struggling to get my business verified?
Help! I uploaded the wrong document for Business Verification?
Help! The "Start Verification" button is greyed-out?
Help! Why hasn't my display name been approved?
Help! Our display name got rejected?
Help! What happens if we're not verified within 30 days?
Help! I can see my number in Turn but it's not working?
Help! Can I have a WhatsApp number for a different country than my business registration?
Help! We are a government entity, how do we do Facebook business verification?
Help! What is a Facebook Business Manager Account?
Help! What number can I use on WhatsApp?
Help! What is a BSP?
What number do I need for my service?
Help! What is two-factor authentication (2FA)?
The WhatsApp Business Platform
Three key rules of engagement
A closer look at the WhatsApp Business API
Understanding conversation-based pricing
Message types: Session vs. Template messages
Message template rules
Message template troubleshooting
Reasons why your template(s) gets rejected
You need opt-in to initiate messages
Human escalation path required
WhatsApp's quality rating and messaging limits
Examples of how to upgrade to the next tier
Connect with your users on chat
Great ways of marketing your chat service
Use a ‘wa.me’ link and QR code to market your service
Get user consent in a WhatsApp conversation
Use automation to collect opt-in
Manage your business presence by updating your WhatsApp profile
How to use Turn.io
How to load content
How users engage with content
Structure and plan your content
Create your first menu
How to send custom replies
How to add a button message
How to upload stickers
How to delete a message that a user sent?
How to set up basic automations
The available trigger types
The available action types
How to set up advanced automations
How to set up multiple language automation
How to set up a follow-up timer
Automation tips & tricks
Triggers explained: Message received STARTS WITH...
Triggers explained: Message received EXACTLY matches...
Triggers explained: Message received does NOT exactly match...
Triggers explained: Message received is a BUTTON PRESSED...
Triggers explained: Message received is from a specific COUNTRY...
Triggers explained: Message received is AUTOMATICALLY labelled...
Triggers explained: Message received from a specific CONTACT PROFILE......
How to send stickers in automation
How to set up a sequential content delivery experience using Automation and Custom Profile Fields
How to send 'Welcome back' message to returning users
Use a follow up timer based on local time
The ABC of threads
How to create a thread
Different thread card types
How to add skip logic to your thread
How to use personalisation in threads
Start a thread when a user reply with a button.
Export your thread data
Create a sequential learning experience with Threads
How to re-connect with users using message templates
Create and submit your template(s) for approval
Send message templates to users
How to add buttons to a template
How to add media to a template
Delete or copy a template
Search and Label
Collections, Assign and Roles
How to create and use collections
How to assign or share a conversation
Search for sent or received or all messages
How to add team members?
How to log in to your account
Overview of the Turn.io user interface
Design an impactful solution
Create good chat service content
Varying interpretations of emoji
Changing behaviour is difficult. Here's some help!
Guiding and tracking
How to decide on and set up goals
How to nudge and track behaviours in conversations
Set up a data connection to BigQuery
Understand your BigQuery data and queries
Example queries for your data
Turn.io API documentation
Where do I find my credentials for the Message Template API?
How do I create message templates via the API?
Upload and send a sticker via the API
Replacing the Contact Export API
New to webhooks?
How to set up a RapidPro integration
Notify your team over email when someone needs urgent help
What is an MAU (Monthly Active User)?
Can I use Turn.io in my country?
What is Turn.io?
Can I get a free trial?
What is Google-backed?
Can I format content with bold, italics etc?
My sandbox isn't working? How do I connect?
Can I attach more than one image, audio clip, video or document to a message?
My emoji trigger isn't working?
How do I extract data out of Turn.io?
What are 'goals'?
What are 'collections'?
How to work as a team
Can I use multimedia in my messages?
Why is my video not sending?
How to setup subscription billing
What is the difference between a member and an admin?
How do I add other contact fields?
I found a bug..
Can I use WhatsApp Groups on the API?
Can you give me examples of approved message templates?
What languages are allowed for message templates?
Why has my template(s) been rejected?
How are conversations charged?
Example of user-initiated vs business-initiated conversations
Can I send a free-form message?
Are all conversations paid?
Una introducción a la WhatsApp Business API
Echar un vistazo más de cerca a la WhatsApp Business API
Tres reglas clave de participación
Tipos de mensajes: Mensajes de sesión versus plantilla
Necesita de adhesión para iniciar mensajes
Se requiere un proceso humano de escalamiento
Calificación de calidad y límites de mensajería de WhatsApp
Actualizaciones de los Términos de Servicio y la Política de Privacidad de WhatsApp
Updated by Neelke Stadler
Creating delightful content for a chat service is, in many ways, similar to creating useful, engaging web content. But there are also significant differences.
When it comes to writing for any digital medium, whether it be a website, newsletter or social-media platform, seasoned web writers will tell you the following:
- Your writing should be quite informal and conversational, as the internet is made for two-way communication. This also means you should aim to stimulate conversation.
- Because it’s harder to read on a screen than on paper, every word should count. Make sentences short, punchy and use active instead of passive voice. Remove any unnecessary words.
- Make your content easy to scan. Use sub-headings, bold text, short paragraphs and bullet points where it makes sense.
- Add multimedia elements such as videos and audio clips to bring your content to life.
- Show rather than tell. Always ask yourself: Will an infographic, photo or illustration tell the story or relate the facts better than text?
- Share information that users find either very useful or highly entertaining. Your aim should always be to turn them into repeat users.
All the above points also apply to the content you’ll be creating for your chat service. But there are a few other considerations.
Give your chat service a personality
When users start using your chat service, many of them won’t be chatting directly to the coaches on your team. They’ll simply consume the content you’ve created for them. For this reason, it’s essential to make your preloaded messages as human as possible. The user must feel like they’re chatting to a real person and not merely a bot. Get it right, and your users will return, increase the time they spend using the service, and participate in conversations that could have a really positive impact on them.
A few tips:
- Don’t copy your existing content verbatim. Transform your content into a conversation, keeping in mind that your chatbot is representing your organisation as a human.
- Think about the tone of your conversations. Do you want to sound casual, serious, friendly or caring? Develop a personality for your chatbot and write your content accordingly.
- Don’t forget that your conversations should lead to certain behaviours. Make sure your chatbot’s personality doesn’t distract your user from reaching the critical goals you’ve set for them.
Plan your content in advance
Planning your re-engagement strategies and messages ahead of time is crucial, as you’ll aim to respond to your users as quickly as possible. Remember, if you don’t respond to a user within 24 hours, you’ll have to send a paid-for, pre-approved message template.
Consider the following:
- Your users will make mistakes in typing their messages. Prepare follow-up questions and error messages in advance so that you can help your users get to the information they require.
- Plan to add additional content and update existing content as your chat service grows. Your users will ask questions you don’t expect and demand more content if you do a good job.
Consider the structure of your content
The flow of your content requires careful consideration. The last thing you want to do is leave your user confused and unsure of how to get to the information they need. If they find it too hard to use your service, they might give up and never return.
A few tips:
- Craft a welcome message that tells your users what the chat service is for.
- Start each piece of content with the key sentence or message as your users might not read the entire message.
- Keep your preloaded messages short. If they contain more than 450 characters, users tend to lose interest.
- Keep your messages conversational, but still professional and grammatically correct.
- Split up topics into segments. Instead of sending one long message, divide the piece of content into paragraphs that can be sent at different times.
- If you need to explain something at length, break the info up into easy-to-understand steps.
Tips for writing FAQs
Setting up several frequently asked questions (FAQs) in advance will make your coaches’ job easy. Here’s how to craft them:
- Keep your answers as short as possible.
- Answer the questions in full. Don’t only link to documents or websites.
- Don’t use jargon. Translate your content into everyday, non-intimidating language that your users will understand.
- Use images and videos to explain complex ideas, but include some explanatory text too.
- If the answer to a question is “yes” or “no”, start with this answer and then explain why this is the case.
Multimedia can be added to your preloaded content, but WhatsApp restricts the size of these files. Take note of the following:
- Images must be under 5MB.
- Documents must be under 100 MB.
- Videos and audio clips must be under 16MB.
We hope you found this information useful! Enjoy creating the content for your chat service. Get it right, and you’ll create a valuable service that could change lives.